Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Live a Little


SOME OF YOU MAY ALREADY KNOW, but in a very strange twist of irony, this Spring I'll be a McEver Visiting Chair in Writing at Georgia Tech. Those of you who've been following this blog know that I, er, left Georgia Tech as a Junior Electrical Engineering major over 11 years ago because, when I needed it, no such program existed.

Since 2002, Poetry at TECH has become the premiere reading series in the city, showcasing such voices as Billy Collins, Rita Dove, Gerald Stern, Stephen Dobyns, and Lucille Clifton. When I was enrolled, Tech only offered one poetry workshop... every two years.

Live a little, the old folks say.

In addition to teaching an undergrad Creative Writing workshop in April, I'll be one of five poets (Sharan Strange, Travis Denton, Anthony Kellman, and Thomas Lux) conducting a free Community Poetry Workshop in early 2007.

The day-long workshops are open to the public, but space is limited. The application deadline for all of the workshops is November 10, 2006. To request an application, e-mail travis.denton@lcc.gatech.edu, or call Poetry at TECH at 404.385.2760.

7 comments:

Christina Springer said...

Congrats Ayo! You'll be fantastic! Those students are sooo lucky!

BLUE said...

hi: my name is sharan strange (can you believe that?). nice photo in the AWP Chronicle ad. A: The Moon sends a wazzup to ya. and i send good light for your re/journey at Tech.

Anonymous said...

WOW. Congrats, Ayo. Wish I could sit in wif a brother. See you soon. Write, write, write...

M. Ayodele Heath said...

Thank you all for playing a part in the production of who I am. Apparently, you're an excellent cast!

That goes for you, too, Roop!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I should be congratulating Tech on their good fortune even more than I should be congratulating you.
daniel

Anonymous said...

Congrats...the world is funny isn't it?

oniroyin said...

We look forward to meeting you at Tech.

Oladipo