Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Book Review: Foundations of ITIL v3



AFTER MAKING THE CHOICE TO SELF-STUDY for the ITIL v3 Foundation Exam (as opposed to paying for a prep course), the next decision was to find study materials.  My colleagues who'd obtained the Foundation certification had done so via prep courses offered by their employers, so unfortunately they weren't very helpful in recommending study texts.  So, after reading a dozen or so reviews of different texts on Amazon, I settled on Van Haren Publishing's Foundations of ITIL v3.

The book comes with study questions at the end of each chapter and then a comprehensive practice exam at the end.   The actual ITIL Foundation exam is scored Pass/Fail, consists of 40 multiple choice questions, and only requires a score of 65% to pass.  I supplemented the study guide questions with those at http://www.practicequiz.com/itil-foundation-practice-test.  And reading the book twice and taking practice tests until I was able to get an 80% consistently on the www.practicequiz.com exam (after about 2 weeks of study), I registered for the real test.  (On the real test, I ended up scoring a 76%.  Which is to say, the practicequiz.com test questions were of comparable difficulty as the actual test.)

For project managers who have obtained the PMP certification and are familiar with PMI's PMBOK text, you are familiar with how dry and abstract body of knowledge/best-practice texts can be.  Foundations of ITIL v3, while not ITIL's 'official' body of knowledge, reads with the same abstractness.  Since there are few real-world examples in the text, this type of abstractness can pose as a barrier to making connections among the various concepts and in determining what is, or isn't, important.  The text is laden with acronyms and definitions and Visio-inspired pictures, which can be abstruse if you've never worked within an ITIL-practicing organization.  Fortunately, I had worked in a (few) ITIL-practicing organizations. :-)

As with PMI's PMP exam, you are advised to not rely on your workplace experience to answer questions, but to instead answer questions in the manner in which ITIL prescribes.  I agree that this is true, but it does help to have worked in an organization that has a service desk, that uses a Change Control Board, that has roles for Transition Manager, etc. as this helps to put meat on the concepts, making them more digestible.

The book is organized into the five phases of the Service Lifecycle (pictured above).  Needless to say, the names of these 5 core areas should be memorized, and, while you don't need to memorize the corresponding processes and functions within each, you should at least be conceptually familiar with the process and function definitions.

Click on each link for tips on preparing for each core area.

All in all, the book, paired with the practice questions from practicequiz.com was more than capable of prepping me for the exam.  I give up two thumbs up.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ITIL - Framework is used by organizations worldwide to improve the capabilities in service management. The capabilities represent any service oriented organization's total capacity, confidence and competency for action

Unknown said...

Very Nice Blog... Thanks for Posting...
ITIL Training

Unknown said...

Useful information about ITIL foundation. certified ghana is providing ITIL Foundation certification training in ghana. To enroll certification click here
ITIL FOUNDATION CERTIFICATION

Anonymous said...

I like viewing web sites itil certification which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you!

Aliyah Lucas said...

I was always a little weak in studies and was wondering how I can pass a Certification Exam as tough as ITIL-4-Foundation when my sister tole me her secret to pass every time and It helped me too. the secret was ITIL-4-Foundation Dumps at Realbraindumps.

DumpsPass4sure said...

It was my dream to pass Juniper exam but always seemed difficult to clear it. Finally, I took help from Pass4sure Juniper dumps and aced my certification at the first attempt. It was easier than my expectations with Juniper questions and answers. I’ll always consider Dumpspass4sure for my further IT qualifications.

nakshatra said...

Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing.
About Business Analytics
data science course
tableau course
360DigiTMG

Anonymous said...

NutraVesta Proven is the only most natural and most effective way of losing your stubborn fat while also increasing your energy levels. Visit: https://nutravestaprovenreview.wordpress.com/

360DigiTMG said...


stunning, incredible, I was thinking about how to fix skin inflammation normally.I've bookmark your site and furthermore include rss. keep us refreshed.

https://360digitmg.com/course/project-management-professional-pmp

hrdf claimable courses said...


There is plainly a ton to consider this. Keep working, remarkable work!
hrdf claimable courses

dataanalyticscourse said...

It is the expect to give noteworthy information and best takes a shot at, including a perception of the regulatory cycle.
big data course malaysia

tejaswini said...

informative blog......
360DigiTMG data science course

360DigiTMG said...

I think this is the minimum value to earn more than just commit
HRDF training

360digitmgdelhi said...

It was worthy experience to get some answers concerning hazardous complement. Valuable for everyone looking with respect to the issue.

data science course in delhi

supply chain management courses said...

Especially superb!!! Exactly when I search for this I found this webpage at the top of every single online diary in web crawler.
https://360digitmg.com/course/certification-program-in-supply-chain-analytics

traininginstitute said...

Always so interesting to visit your site.What a great info, thank you for sharing. this will help me so much in my learning
data science training in malaysia