Wednesday, August 25, 2004

an untitled pantoum

There is a dead woman in the house across the river.
Its waters move like a black snake through denuded trees.
I am hideous flower in a forbidden room.
My petals blossom when the door locks.

Like waters, black and snaking through denuded trees,
if blood could slither, mine would.
My petals blossom when the door locks.
She walked upright when she led me here.

If blood could slither, mine would,
Across this stone mattress where I cannot rest.
She walked upright when she led me here,
Where moonlight spills like gold dying leaves.

Across this stone mattress where I cannot rest,
I killed my dreams to dream of her
where moonlight spills like gold dying leaves.
When she takes a breath, she devours all.

I killed my dreams to dream of her.
I, a hideous flower in a forbidden room.
She takes my breath and devours all—
the dead woman in the house across the river.

2 comments:

BLUE said...

love the images, ayo ... (ouch-ouch-ouch-ouch!). there are so many arresting moments in this poem, but the one that will echo for some time is this line: "if blood could slither, mine would." of course you know my favorite form poem is the villanelle, but you make me want to write pantoums ... you and richard garcia do. good to see this craft here ... MORE! light! ~BLUE p.s. where the ham-sam is the title? you know immo rag you 'bout that.

Anonymous said...

yes, of course i dont know that much about different styles of poetry, but i do know that good poetry has everlasting images. this poem is very powerful, not least beacause of it the ominious atmosphere which the poet manages to create in the first stanza; but also because of its simplicity. the message is a complex one but its given in a very simple way